With the increase in electronics in vehicle and the need for passenger safety, ISO 26262 has become critical in many automotive applications that traditionally did not require safety. Driver assistance and autonomous vehicles are the catalyst behind many safety requirements in the entire vehicle.
Microchip’s 32-bit MCUs are used as a Safety Element Out of Context (SEooC) in an application (Item) and collateral and support is provided to achieve an Automotive Safety Integrity Level (ASIL) for the application. Typically, Microchip’s 32-bit MCUs are is used in ASIL B type applications, but also can be instrumental in a higher safety level through ASIL decomposition.
The IEC 61508 Industrial safety standard is now required for many industrial applications such as pumps, switches, and programmable logic controllers, to name a few. Microchip’s 32-bit microcontrollers have a Certified SIL 2/3 library that can be used to achieve the desired Safety Integrity Level (SIL) for the end application. Higher safety levels can also be achieved by redundancy, such as SIL 3 with a dual channel (two MCU) system.
Microchip’s 32-Bit MCUs have been used extensively in home appliances for many applications including those requiring a touch interface. A certified Class B library with certifications from both VDE and UL are offered on many of our 32-Bit MCUs.
Following are a few examples of products and the different safety standards that they require:
• ISO 26262 (ASIL): In-cabin touch, body electronics, rear-view camera
• IEC 61508 (SIL): Pumps, switches, power tools
• IEC 60730 (Class B): Vacuum cleaners, cook tops, dishwashers
Safety and Robustness Collateral
Make your certification process easier and less risky with Microchip’s high-quality collateral:
• Automotive grade silicon (AEC-Q100 qualification, up to Grade 1)
• Certified SIL 2/3 Self-Test Libraries (New)
• Certified Class B libraries
• Failure Mode, Effects and Diagnostic Analysis (FMEDA) report (New)
• Functional Safety manual (New)
• MCAL drivers for AutoSAR
Product Support for Safety Standards:
• ISO 26262 (ASIL): SAM C21, SAM DA1, and SAM D21 Families
• IEC 61508 (SIL): SAM D21 and SAM L21 Families
• IEC 60730 (Class B): SAM D2x, SAM C2x, PIC32MX, PIC32MK, and PIC32MZ Families
Select 32-Bit MCUs products contains Microchip’s Functional Safety Ready designation. These have been carefully selected as encompassing the latest Functional Safety features and support collateral is available from Microchip, including integrated safety features, safety manuals, FMEDA reports, and in some cases, diagnostic software such as certified Self-Test Libraries for SIL 2/3.
For additional information and supporting documentation, please fill out the contact forms on Microchip’s 32-bit MCU Functional Safety web pages or contact your Microchip sales representative. We will guide you through the process.
Development Tools and Third Parties
Microchip‘s 32-Bit MCU products offer collateral that enables system-level compliance, as well as development tool support with qualified and certified tools.
• MPLAB® XC Functional Safety Compiler, ISO 26262 qualified up to ASIL D
Read more about Microchip’s 32-Bit Functional Safety offering at:
For information on Microchip’s 32-bit MCUs visit our 32-Bit MCU Design Center.